Friday, June 16, 2006

Poker and World Cup Soccer

I actually made a conscious decision to refrain from poker writing yesterday. The main reason for this action was because I a piss poor day and needed something else to think about. I’m not going to discuss the bad beats because there are truly no bad beats in poker. Nevertheless, there are long shots. Anyway, let’s just say that my nut sac has swelled to the size of a softball and leave it at that.

Oh, and another thing, I was playing a tourney on Noble yesterday when the connection to the server was lost. I was sitting in great shape only to have the tourney canceled in the end. I sent an e-mail and asked for an equity refund and by golly, they did it.

I did have a good session at the cash tables if you consider a $2 profit good. I hit the micro NL tables with the $2.80 I had left after taking most of my money out of Stars. I did this in an attempt to relive the experience I’ve had at Noble and to see if I can do it again. I also want to do some bonus chasing to pad my small bankroll so the withdraw was needed.

********************

I know in the past I’ve talked about some of softball exploits and I’m sure it will continue in the future. I want to let you know that I also have an alter ego. An ego that played the biggest game in the world. Yes, I was a soccer player.

I started a young one while in elementary school and continued into college. As a matter a fact, the high school I went to was a perennial power and still is to this day. To make matters more interesting, I play goalie.

Back in 1983 I was lucky enough to travel to Germany to play a round of friendly matches with some club team over there. It was a great experience that I will never forget. We stayed in the houses of various soccer officials from Germany and had a great time drinking their beer and seeing the sights. It was a wonderful time for a teenager back then.

I also had the privilege of playing against the Chicago Sting in an exhibition match back in 86 or 87. They kicked our but for the most part but we were only down 1-0 at half time. After the game, the sting players came to the clubhouse and partied with us until almost sunrise as they attempted to show their drink prowess but instead were blind drunk. As a matter of fact Karl Heinz Granitza, a well known Germany player, would throw up and then grab another drink from the bar. Ricardo Alonzo was hitting on all the girls while his pregnant wife watched from the sideline. Good times.

I’m sure I’ll have more to say in the future about some of this, but for now I’ll leave it alone.

I love the World Cup.

1 comment:

CC said...

Ditto, minus the playing experience.