Friday, June 02, 2006

I Love This Game

Thanks for the kind words guys.

No poker last night as I think I’ve worn out this latest run of time. I’ve spent the last two nights with the wife trying to get back on her good side. The real concern was time I had spent during the day playing when I missed a phone call that I should have been available to take. You see, we have dial-up because I can’t get DSL yet and Comcast isn’t an option until my Direct TV contract runs out in a few months. I’m going to wait and get the Comcast package that gives you phone, cable, and internet for around $100 or so. So until then I have to be more prudent with my time.

********************

L’s team played a great game last night winning 8-7 in the bottom of the 7th inning against the last undefeated team. She started the game on the mound and got through the first inning without giving up any runs. In the bottom of the first, she walked with two outs and stole second base, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on an infield single to give us the lead. She struggled a little in the second but got out of it for the most part, only giving up one run. Now in our in-house league, a pitcher is limited to 3 innings of work in any game so we can develop other pitchers. With this in mind, we took L of the mound to give one of our other pitchers some time. Over the next three innings, she gave up five runs, which was very good for this pitcher, so we are trailing 6-2. We brought our third pitcher into the game and she did great, shutting out the other team in the top of the 6th. The bottom of the 6th saw the top of our order start out with a hit and a walk. They moved to second and third on a wild pitch and L drove them in with a double to left-center. We proceeded to take the lead later in the inning so we headed to the top of the 7th leading 7-6. We decided to keep the same pitcher in the game instead of replacing her with L because she had done really well the previous inning and she continued her success by giving up only a game-tying run. So here we, bottom of the 7th inning with two outs and L steps to the plate again. She hits a base hit to center. I call time and tall the batter, our #4 hitter to take a pitch so L can steal second. She does and we have a runner on second with two outs. She hits the ball up the middle, the second baseman knocks down the ball but the throw is late to first base. L never slowed down coming around third and continued home, sliding under the tag to score the winning run. Great game and great ending.

I should have broken the last paragraph into a couple of sections but too bad.

M plays tonight and after her game, I have a 9:00 game.

I love this game

No comments: