Friday, December 15, 2006

Not the SNG Machine

Before I start please take time to fill out my survey on the right side of my blog under the heading “The Poker Enthusiast Survey”.

It’s hard to believe that so many players out there continue to dump money into their losing game. As an example I went to shark scope and checked the SNG results of 5 players I faced last night (you get 5 free searches per day) and saw that 2 different players had played over 400 SNG’s and showed a negative ROI in the range of 15-17 percent. Now I know that variance has an influence on results but I would think that playing that many SNG’s as a loser would make me re-think why I’m playing. Now you can go look at my stats and see donkey loser imbedded into my results but that’s not the point. The point is that there are still many players dumping money into our pockets.

As for my results at Full Tilt, the low buy-in events ($5 or less)are less than what I would like but very positive. My $10 buy-ins are negative ROI while the $20 buy-ins are around 18% or so. Not the greatest in the world and much less than my historical data but positive overall. Those damn $10 SNG’s killed me.

Historically speaking, my ROI for SNG’s sits around 38% with a good mix of 5, 10, and 20 dollar games. It has dropped about 5% over a given period of time so I guess I’m wondering if it is coming to a leveling off point or a down swing. This being said, returning to the $5 SNG’s will bring this level back up and allow me to work at improving my game.

The frustrating part of all of this is that I haven’t seen a huge difference in skill from my opponents at any of these levels. For the most part, the $5 games have maybe 2 solid players, the $10 games have 2 or 3 and the $20 games have 3 maybe 4. I guess I think I should be doing better at Full tilt.

Played 8 SNG’s last night and cashed in 4 and bubbled twice. Best hand of the night was hitting a set of jacks on the flop and having two players push in front of me after the flop. One player had second pair while the other had a gut shot draw.

Not much more except that I will be playing live if things work out next weekend. Worldpoker05 is having a gathering and thus a game will break out. That last time we did this we caught a kid doing a bad job of stacking the deck. He pulled a card from the bottom to give himself trips and gave the other guy the nut flush. We didn’t make a huge deal out of it right there but we did make him understand the problem with trying to cheat 8 other guy who are all bigger then him. He said he was sorry.

No comments: