Monday, July 10, 2006

Fed Up.

I’ve been fed up with many things lately. The way parents see their child as equals to other children with more talent, even though their kid hasn’t gotten a hit all season. It’s easy to walk through life with blinders on. Many of us do it every day, thinking the world is against us because someone else has a different opinion. It’s hard work evaluating your self and the things you stand for. Taking off the blinders has a way of opening up your soul for the word to see. Except that you don’t realize that most of the world doesn’t care.

Playing time for the kids should be kept as equal as possible. That means that some of the best players have to sit while the less talented uses up precious playing time. This is fine because you only get better while practicing or playing the game and everyone needs to work to get better.

There are three types of parents. First are the playing time/position parents. This type of parent views their child as one of the best players on the team regardless of skill level. They feel that the coaches show favoritism to their own children and while ignoring the obviously more talented players. The blinders are an avenue for the parent drive down when comforting a child who doesn’t get to play the position they want, all the time.

At the other end of the spectrum is the win at all cost parent. The feel the best players should play every game regardless of the team concept. They love to explain how they line-up should be and how their daughter would help the team more if she play position x. I give them credit for having a passion for the game but their blinders block out the need for growth as a team.

The third type sits and watches the game. They cheer the wins and mourn the loses while supporting their children the whole time. They see the different talent levels and don’t give their children false direction. They challenge their child to become better through hard work and determination. They don’t tell their child that the coach is wrong and that they should be playing you at the position of choice. If all children had parents like this then the athletic fields would be a better place.

While preparing for last weekends tournament, I set lineups for each game in an attempt to keep playing time as equal as possible during round robin play. I feel this is important because when we get to bracket play, the best team is going to be on the field. In all fairness to the players, the best team isn’t determined until the conclusion of the round robin. This gives every child the chance to step up and put themselves into a coveted position. Most parents don’t see it as fair. I see it as necessary because we are trying to teach the children to work hard and be team players. Part of being a team is cheering for your teammates while you sit on the bench, disappointed because you would rather be on the field playing.

********************

The coaching staff had a meeting the other day. It was called by one of the coaches who felt his daughter wasn’t getting an equal share of the playing time. As we go through the meeting, he says to me” L is doing better then I thought”. I wasn’t sure how to take this at first so I asked for clarification. He continued with “ I thought she had a lot more strikeouts then she has.” I responded with “she’s had two all season”.

As the meeting went on, I realized he was trying to circumvent the system so that his less talented daughter could play the position she wanted to play regardless of the consequences to the team. Eventually, a new system was invented to give each girl a chance to play the position they wanted to play while maintaining equal playing time for all. I’m still the manager and I’ll play whomever I want to play.

After the meeting I met with said father and asked him if he felt I was showing favoritism to my daughter. He said at first he thought I was but after looking at the stats, he realized she wasn’t getting anymore time then anyone else.

After this last weekend, L is the second leading hitter, has the most RBI, most walks, and is pitching like crap. I’ve pulled her in each of her last two starts because she was having trouble throwing strikes. I even had a relief pitcher get ready after the first batter during her last start because I could see her troubles continuing. I love my daughter and she loves to pitch but she won’t pitch again until she can start throwing strikes.

I don’t think I have blinders.

********************

Poker is confusing the heck out of me. There are time when I’m really enjoying the game but other times when I feel obligated to play. I don’t know if it is reaching a four figured bankroll or not but this feeling surfaced around the same time.

I moved up to $20 SNGs the other day. I retch as I recall the incident because I lost my first three games at that level on the bubble. My head spun as I got knocked out of the first one while holding pocket queens to my opponents 89 suited. I was ready to jump during my second loss. AK is not good vs. KQ. By the time I got through the third loss I detested the game. The utter putridity of the circumstance left me in a state of bewilderment. Variance is a bitch and I’m the alpha male. I will not be denied.

No comments: