Friday, March 17, 2006

Still Under the Weather

No poker last night. My daughter had a spring concert for chorus and by they time I got home the Illinois game was half over. The Fighting Illini held off the Air Force Academy to advance to the second round of the NCAA tourney. It was a less then inspiring game versus an over matched team of our nation’s defenders.

Still not feeling good as I go on my second day without sustenance. I’ve been drinking liquids but any thing I eat is… lets say evacuated from the premises within no time at all. As I sit here and type this I’m craving a tostada from Fast Burrito. If you’re ever in Yorkville, try Fast Burrito.

Before I gave up the barnstorming life of a fastpitch softball player, I would travel all over the United States and Canada playing the game I love. The interesting things I recall most from all those miles of endless travel are the eating establishments I frequented. Portage Wisconsin had a place along the canal called The Tamarack. It had the best steak sandwich I’ve ever had in my life. We used to go to the Canal Days Tournament just so we could get a steak sandwich. There was also this place just west of Sioux City Iowa …I don’t recall the name of the place…about ten miles into Nebraska that had an outstanding bacon wrapped filet. It was one of those filets that didn’t require you to chew the meat because it would just melt in your mouth. Anyway, a significant amount of my ball playing memories are tied together with the places I gained nourishment. So what does this say about me? I’m hungry but I’m afraid to eat.

I had a nice long talk with the new boss yesterday. I think it will be a good relationship as he is a no nonsense kind of guy and gave a clear understanding of what his expectations are. This is a nice change from the previous leadership who had been in my office a grand total of three times during my first year and a half with the company and at no time relayed any goals or objectives he had for the position.


I’ll try to post something this weekend about my endeavor into poker greatness but chances are that it will have to wait for Monday.


Go Cubs

No comments: